Sunday, June 24, 2012

Caring Thoughts.......Encouragement Reminder

Have you ever had a friend going through a rough time?

  You wanted to encourage somebody and remind them in a concrete way that you were thinking of them without constantly calling and checking on them or bombarding them with cards or emails.  What about making a little plaque they could hang on their refrigerator where they could be reminded that someone cares.

I started with a blank 5x7 canvas.  I painted it with green and yellow acrylic paint.

I used my heat gun to speed up the drying process.

I used the end cap from a Zig marker dipped in yellow paint to add some texture to the background.

I took a piece of twine and dipped it in pink acrylic paint.

And dragged it gently across the canvas to add more texture.

The finished background looked like this.

After stamping the Hummingbird image onto the lower left corner of the background, I started preparing watercolor paper using the same paint I used to paint the background for paper piecing.

I painted a splotch of pink for the flower. 

Some yellow for the stamen.

And green for the hummingbird.

After stamping the image into each color swatch, I cut the parts out and glued them to the canvas over the original image.

I then found a scrap of patterned paper that matched my project and stamped my butterfly THREE times onto the paper.

I fussy cut the butterflies out and folded them in half.

I glued the butterflies together to create the illusion of the butterfly's wings fluttering. 

I took a blank wooden tag and color washed it using watered down acrylic paint. 
'

I stamped my sentiment onto the wooden tag and threaded a piece of ribbon through the hole of the tag.
I dry-brushed a little pink paint onto the edges of the tag to give it the distressed look. 

 I used some thick glue dots to attach the tag to the canvas. 

Last but not least I glued a magnet to the back of the canvas so it could be hung on the refrigerator.

 The results - A pretty reminder that someone cares.



Supplies Used:

Texana Designs Stamps: 80815 Hummingbird/Hibiscus, 80803m Butterfly (mini), and TD059 Caring thoughts
5x7 blank canvas
Green, Yellow, and Pink Acrylic Paint
Scrap of Patterned  Paper
Scrap of water color paper
Naked wooden tag
Small piece of ribbon
Archival Ink by Ranger
Small Magnet

Pin It

2 comments:

Texana Designs said...

Amazing!

Karen Lambert said...

Thanks JS!!!