Sunday, July 25, 2010

He Loves Water, BUT......







On Day 3 of our vacation we hiked the trail that runs from 183 behind Twin Lakes YMCA to Brushy Creek Sports Complex at Parmer Lane. Its a beautiful paved trail that runs along side the Brushy Creek most of the way. It is about a 4 mile hike for us to the other end and back to the car. Usually we let Rusty play in the creek water so he doesn't get over heated and because he loves it so much.

It is because Rusty loves the water so much that we experienced the scariest and the most joyous part of having him in our life on this night. He does very well off leash and has been very obedient. He was having so much fun splashing in the water, but was on a fairly short leash, so we decided to release him. In joyous abandon, he started running. He kept running following Brushy Creek up under the trestle and out of our sight.

KATHUMPSPLASH KATHUMPSPLASH KATHUMPSPLASH.

It is all we heard as he turned the corner and was out of sight. He was totally oblivious to both Mike and I calling his name. Usually he will go about 10 feet at the most from us before turning around and checking on where we are. Never has he left our sight or continued to run when we called. This sweet red spotted dog with the blue eyes has wriggled his way right into our hearts and the thought of him running away and getting lost just terrified us. What should we do? Mike went back to the trail and ran up to the other side of the railroad trestle that runs over the trail. He saw Rusty in the distance and was trying to figure out how to get to him.

I just stood there. I had been wading in the creek with Rusty. Should I run up the creek after him? I was just about ready to do just that because all of a sudden I couldn't hear his KATHUMP SPLASHES anymore.
I took a couple of steps in silence when all of a sudden....there was that sound again.

KATHUMPSPLASH KATHUMPSPLASH KATHUMPSPLASH....

It was getting closer and louder. And around the corner running just as fast and hard as he was when he ran away came Rusty running straight towards me. Ears flopping in the wind and water splashing with every step. ULTIMATE JOY shining from those blue green eyes (one of each). He ran straight to me and leaned against my legs, looking up at me as if to say. " That was fun, but I am glad I am back where I belong."

Mike said he never got close enough to call Rusty to him, so we can only imagine that he finally realized he was alone out there in the "wilderness" with out his people and decided to come looking for us.

I will never forget the feeling of Terror that gripped me when Rusty first took off running. It will make me hesitate to unleash him near water again.

I will also never forget the look of Joy on Rusty's face as he runs and play in the water.
Pin It

No comments: