Friday, October 23, 2009

The Doors of Key West Scavenger Hunt

We went to Key West on a Big Adventure. Mike made reservations at the Beach Suite. It was a cute little white house at 1815 Atlantic Ave. It was surrounded with a white picket fence, lots of palm trees, and had a bright red door that led to a secluded covered deck. Because of the uniqueness of this red door, I started paying attention to the other doors of Key West. Each door exhibited a personality of it's own. Some were carved, some rustic, some painted, some works of art. What a fun scavenger hunt we went on to discover the DOORS of KEY WEST.

This was the perfect album to use an idea Mike had pointed out to me several years ago on a trip to StampAntonio in San Antonio, TX. They had used a door from a doll house on the front page of an album. My door is fully functional. It opens to reveal a picture of......

Mike and I on the beach.



My mini album is 6 inches x 12 inches. I covered the chipboard with Patterned Paper from My Mind's Eye and DCWV. I distressed the edges with Acylic Paint from Ranger.


Die-cut flowers layered, distressed with acrylic paint, and petals curled alittle to stand up.
The pearl centers are Crystal Stickers by Mark Richards purchased at Archivers. The edges of the mats were straight stitched on my sewing machine for added detail.
The border on the bottom of this page was cut from a piece of patterned paper. The Flowers are painted with Diamond Stickles.
The felt embellishments are recycled from gift wrapping on a present I received from my daughter in love, April. I suspect they might me K and Company. The pictures on this page and the one below were sewn to the mats with my sewing machine and the herringbone stitch.


The chipboard embellishments were from Deluxe Designs. I painted them with Acrylic paint and sprinkled the with Martha Stewart Crystal Fine Glitter while the paint was still wet. Then they were sprayed with a fixative to seal in the glitter.

The patterned paper borders were edged with EK Success Postage Stamp border punch. The prima flowers were embossed using my cuttlebug folders for added texture.

Random quotes in this book were obtained by googling for "door quotations". I picked my favorites and added them to the book.
The Circle and Picture mats on this page and the page below were hand doodle with a brown EK Success Zig Pen.


The chip board embellishments on the above 2 pages were painted with ivory acrylic paint and them stamped using Stampabilities Le London Script background stamp and Broken China Distress Ink. The Fleur De Lis was also doodled on with the Zig marker.

The key and lock on this page and the hinges on the page below are Tim Holtz Grunge Board. I colored them using a combination of Slate, Terra Cotta, and Pesto Alcohol Ink with Silver Metalic Mixative added in. The "brads" holding the embellishments on is actually Black Stickles that I used to fill the holes.

The Album was but together using my Bind it All.

It was a fun project to take pictures for and a fun project to complete.
My only regret is to have not written down street addresses as I took the picture. Many of them were taken on the run, literally. I would spot a door. Mike would stop the car. I would get out, run up and take the picture, and run back to the car. If there was traffic behind him, he would drive around the block and pick me up, so I wasn't thinking about writing anything down at the time. I was thinking about getting in and out of the car and getting a decent shot.
Hope you enjoyed my Scavenger Hunt on Key West.

Pin It

1 comment:

Jennifer Stewart said...

Karen, I love this! What a GREAT idea! I know that made it fun to look for the doors on your trip. :) Love it!

Jennifer